Development Manager/VP Engineering
Hanzo is solving the single biggest challenge in above-board compliance and litigation today -- contextual investigation, capture, and preservation of dynamic web content. Through one sophisticated platform, we capture and replicate team messaging data, social media engagement, and interactive web content then preserve it in its native format for analysis and review. Launched in 2009, Hanzo serves teams at PayPal, Twitter, Koch, Facebook, LinkedIn, eBay, T. Rowe Price, Wells Fargo, Allianz, Ameriprise, and many other firms across the globe. You can meet our forward-thinking customer base here: https://www.hanzo.co/customer-success-stories
We are expanding the team and looking to add a Development Manager who will be responsible for planning and execution of key development projects alongside team leads and team members. The development manager will have line management responsibilities and report to the CTO.
- At least 3 Years of experience managing development teams in a technically rich environment, ideally in the context of distributed systems processing large amounts of data.
- Thorough knowledge and experience of Agile processes, scrum, kanban, etc. Comfortable putting in place new processes.
- Day to day management of a number of projects and teams. Orchestrate the delivery of software projects according to well defined plans.
- Support team leads to deliver on time, on budget with high quality.
- Provide weekly reports, flag risks and propose mitigations.
- Perform one to one review meetings, objective setting, hiring and handling people issues
- Excellent communicator at all levels, feeling comfortable operating in a remote organisation spanning from the USA to the UK. Excellent written and verbal English.
- Naturally entrepreunerial and eager to deliver good products to customers
- Strong analytical mind backed by a degree in maths, sciences or similar
- Solid experience managing development teams in a dynamic environment.
- Current or past SME or startup experience
- Strong process
- Experience with remote teams
- Exposure to cloud technologies and open source software
- Previous development experience, interest in new technologies such as AI
- Understanding of web archiving, social media, legal industry...
Additional Responsibilities and Core Competencies:
- Autonomous – Hanzo is a remote first company – making this work requires a certain amount of self drive from employees. The ability to take accountability for tasks and be self-motivated to achieve results.
- Ability to describe and defend your work and ideas – describe what you’re doing and why you’re doing it in a context that is understandable by others within Hanzo.
- Work context aware – Don’t over engineer it, don’t brush off deep architectural issues.
- Responsive – the ability to work at a quick pace collaboratively.
- Seek & offer help – autonomy is not about wasting time when you could ask for help.
We are looking for people who have curious minds, who genuinely want to make the best possible solution and therefore who are able to communicate and defend their ideas well and to equally recognise when other people’s solutions may be more effective. At the same time you must have the ability to work at a quick pace and handle reasonable interruptions as well as having the ability to come up with solutions that are appropriate and not over engineered.
In return we will provide you with an exciting opportunity to make a meaningful contribution in a small team. We are a fast growing technology company and as the company grows there will be opportunity for career development as well.
We want a sustainable pace of development and therefore keep a good work/life balance. We are a remote first company based in the UK and as such we’re seeking people with a strong sense of autonomy. We use collaborative tools like slack to keep an active office environment. We would like to focus on candidates based in Europe (UK or Ireland preferred). The ability to travel to regular co-location sessions in the UK will be important.